Call to Action: The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) is asking for public comment as it is considering an update to its procedural provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). This could have a significant impact on the process and quality of P2. We want to make a stand for good P2, why it is important and why we need to fight for it. We are asking you to be a part of “Pursuing the Greater Good” and to advocate for “Good Decisions Made Together” by providing your public comment.
Background: President Nixon signed the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) into law on January 1, 1970. Its passage established a new policy of environmental protection and transparency in government. For any federal action that will have significant environmental impacts, NEPA requires federal agencies to define a range of reasonable courses of action, including a “no action” or baseline alternative, evaluate the likely impacts of each of those alternatives, and share the results of that analysis with the public. While it has never been interpreted as obligating the government to pursue the most environmentally benign action, NEPA made the government’s decisions open to public scrutiny. The law also provided for the formation of the Council on Environmental Quality. Sec. 2 [42 U.S. Code § 4321].
Timing: Given the length of time since its NEPA implementing regulations were issued, CEQ is required to solicit public comment on potential revisions and you have an important voice. No other organization with its members and friends is better poised to contribute and advise on the update of these regulations.
Your voice is important and should be heard. But you only have until July 20th to make a difference!
- Review the announcement
- Draft your reply. Need inspirations? Consider the following:
- IAP2 Foundations – Core Values, Code of Ethics, Spectrum
- Think about how the Foundations have helped you in designing and implementing your projects and helped you in talking about good P2. Share your lessons learned, the benefits of good P2 and what happens without it.
- Take a look at what we heard at our 2017 National Dialogue – Are we facing a P2 Crisis or Opportunity
- Learn from others – Core Values Award winners
- Become an Ambassador – Ambassador Program
- Contribute to the conversation by submitting your comments online
Here is your opportunity to be part of
Pursuing the Greater Good: Good Decisions Made Together.